Centura College first began training individuals for new careers in Norfolk, Virginia, in 1969, and over the years, it continued to expand its training options and campus locations. In 1987, the Norfolk campus opened on East Little Creek Road under the name Electronic Institute of Technology. By 1989, the campuses in Hampton Roads offered such a variety of training that the school’s name was changed to Tidewater Tech. After years of growth, the Norfolk campus relocated to its current location on Military Highway in 1995, and in 2008, the school’s name was changed to Centura College.
At Centura, we are always striving to make your educational experience more fulfilling. Our Flex Learning model is designed to combine the best of on-campus classes with online learning giving you the flexibility to choose a learning strategy that fits your lifestyle.
- Shared classroom and labs in hands-on setting.
- Traditional face-to-face learning model.
- Structured space and time for learning and instruction.
- All instruction and learning is done online, regardless of where you live.
- Self-pacing coursework and personalization.
- Develop rich interactive communication skills.
- Build interactive skills along with the support and structure many students need.
- Reduce commuting time and expense while still having access to on-campus resources.
- Receive face-to-face motivation while developing personal responsibility.
Centura College’s Norfolk campus offers training for careers in health care.
Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Medical Assisting:
The medical assisting AOS degree offers a concentration in clinical support teaching the skills needed to meet the demands of the current and emerging health care system. Both day and night classes are offered, and full-time students can graduate in 15 months. Flex Learning available.
Dental Assistant Diploma:
The dental assistant diploma program is designed to provide the basic skills to take your place working alongside dentists and dental hygienists. Both day and night classes are offered, and full-time students can graduate in as little as nine months.
Medical Billing & Coding Specialist Diploma:
This diploma program focuses training on billing and coding of medical records preparing students to become part of a medical interdisciplinary team. Both day and night classes are offered, and full-time students can graduate in eight months.
Practical Nursing Diploma:
The practical nursing diploma program provides the skills and qualifications needed to administer bedside care. Graduate with the knowledge necessary to apply for licensure in the State of Virginia. Classes are held Monday through Thursday during the day, and full-time students can graduate in only 15 months.
Accreditations, Approvals and Memberships:
- Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC)
- US Department of Education
- State Approving Agency for Veterans Education and Training
- Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon Program
- Virginia Board of Nursing
- Virginia Board of Dentistry
- Virginia Department of Rehabilitative Services
- Workforce Investment Act
- National Association for Health Professionals